July 21, 2016
St. Mary’s Junior High to Offer New Course Offerings
With the decision to keep junior high students at St. Mary’s School the entire school day, St. Mary’s seventh and eighth grade students will enjoy several new opportunities, enhanced traditional course offerings, and an extended math class.
New course offerings for the 2016-2017 school year:
- Tech class- this class will focus on engineering, coding, and keyboarding skills (all students).
- Health class- this class will focus on personal and community health and wellness and be taken by all seventh grade students.
- College/Career Prep & Personal Finance- this 8th grade class will feature opportunities for students to identify their gifts and talents as well explore career opportunities to focus their high school studies. Students will also learn about credit and debit cards, taxes, housing, and other elements of personal finance.
- Art- students will learn fundamental principles of art and be given several opportunities to create various works of art.
- Personal Fitness- students will be given an opportunity to learn more about personal wellness and well-being.
- Marketing/Business Management- students will learn the fundamentals of how to promote and market products as well as the basic principles of running a business.
- Service & Leadership- students will be given opportunities to strengthen their leadership qualities through service to their school and/or community.
Enhanced traditional course offerings for the 2016-2017 school year:
- Math (60+ minute class)
- English/Language Arts
- Social Studies
- Physical Education
- Band or Music Appreciation
Expanded after school opportunities for junior high students:
- academic assistance
Within our seventh and eighth grade program, we are looking forward to an outstanding year where we strengthen our commitment to our root beliefs:
- We are a family.
- Service is leadership.
- Learning prepares us to be successful.
- God calls us to share our faith.
- All people are blessed with gifts and talents.