Athletics are a tradition at St. Mary’s. Our Athletic Department is an integral part of the School, with the goal of enhancing the complete education of our student-athletes. Participation in our sports programs helps foster the development of students’ physical selves, as well as personal growth from lessons about discipline and team building. Our teams compete with several other schools in the Tri-County Conference.
AFTER SCHOOL SPORTS PROGRAM
All students in the sixth through eighth grades are eligible to participate in the following sports:
- Fall: Floor Hockey (Boys & Girls) Volleyball (Girls)
- Winter: Basketball (Boys and Girls) Cheerleading (Girls and Boys)
- Spring: Baseball (Boys) Softball (Girls)
Participation in after school sports programs requires a $50 fee for St. Mary’s students that covers participation for the entire year. Our dedicated
cover the expenses for the athletic programs.
Many St. Mary’s students also choose to participate in the Owatonna Communitiy Education
Kids First Athletic programs
PHILOSOPHY OF ATHLETICS AT ST. MARY’S
St. Mary’s School views athletics as an integral part of the educational process. St. Mary’s will provide positive models of coaching excellence and sports programs that promote the ideals of sportsmanship, participation, competitiveness, high performance, and Christian character, with Christ as our witness.
Through the administration, coaching staff, parents and fans, the St. Mary’s sports program strives to influence the student athlete in a positive manner. All programs enable each participant to compete primarily for the love, enjoyment, education, appreciation and lifetime benefits of sports in a Christian atmosphere and not solely for winning or personal gains.
The intended outcomes of the St. Mary’s Sport experience are:
- To learn and apply Christian character
- To promote school unity and spirit
- To improve individual skills in a sport through teamwork
- To continue demonstration of sportsmanship
- To enhance the image of St. Mary’s School
- The student must be enrolled at St. Mary’s.
- A student expectation form must be completed.
- The student must have had a physical exam within the last three (3) years.
II. Athletes whose progress in school becomes a cause for concern may be ineligible to participate.
- Students are expected to maintain a “C” (74%) in each class. Missing homework and/or a grade below a “C” in a class may result in missing a game or practice. Effort and progress toward improving the grade may be taken into consideration..
III. Athletic Policy
- Athletics is used to promote school spirit and pride.
- The ideals of fair play and sportsmanship are of prime importance to coaches, athletes and parents.
- Coaches are encouraged to give every team member the opportunity to participate.
IV. Lettering Procedure
- Participation in three (3) or more sports in one year entitles the athlete to the St. Mary’s “M”.
- Athletes receive only one (1) “M” while attending St. Mary’s.
- Athletes who have previously lettered are awarded sports pins to indicate the sport in which they participated.
- Only one (1) pin per sport is awarded. Successive years of participation are awarded with certificates.
- Those athletes who do not letter receive participation certificates.
- Students participating in sports at OJHS will be acknowledged in the Sports Banquet booklet.
V. Insurance – St. Mary’s insurance does not cover athletic injury.